Assistant Judge (L4) &/or Corner Judge (L3) Volunteer Quota
Each university taekwondo club is required to submit one L4 certified volunteer assistant judge or L3 certified corner judge for every five student-athletes competing from your institution the same day of a given championships (your volunteer quota may therefore be different for each day of a multi-day championships). To offer the greatest opportunities for engagement and development, and to best complete events in a timely manner, we encourage all clubs to submit more than the minimum quota of volunteers wherever possible. All volunteer assistant judges provided by clubs towards their quota for BSTF tournaments must have completed and passed the online (L4) exam before you may register them as a volunteer:
- Volunteers may be student-athletes competing in a patterns event on the same day, but must not be sparring the same day
- Volunteers may be student-athletes who are sparring on a different day of the event
- Volunteers may be current students, alumni members, or members of your wider taekwondo group(s)*
- Volunteers may not coach athletes on the same day of the event they are nominated as volunteers
*L2 umpires i.e., centre referees and patterns judges, are recruited seperately (not via BUCS Play like student-athletes, coaches and your L4/L3 volunteers) and paid an allowance to attend events. The certified L2 umpires we recruit do not count towards a university’s L4/L3 volunteer quota. If your institution has reached the player-enteries threshold to require he nomination of a trainee L2 referee their attendance does count towards your volunteer quota while they attend events as a trainee.
We highly recommend all clubs encourage as many current student, alumni and other potential volunteers complete the online test as far in advance of tournaments as possible. All participants, first time competitors and seasoned student-athletes alike, will benefit from refreshing their knowledge of the latest competition rule updates and gaining familiarity with the event processes.
Centre Referee (L2) Trainee Quota
Each institution entering __ or more unique players in the previous academic year will be required to submit one individual to join our referee training programme. The nominee must:
- Have passed the online L4 certification test
- Have corner judged a minimum of 3 times at university taekwondo championships
- Attend our free one day (L2) referee training course
- Attend at least 3 days of this academic year’s BSTF Championships as an L2 trainee
Progressing up to a centre referee (level 2) certification is a fantastic way to develop as a taekwondo practitioner and stay engaged with student taekwondo after you graduate. Trainee L2 centre referee are also paid 50% of the standard centre referee allowance during their training (>£30 /day) and the full allowance at each event once they have sucessfully completed their training (>£60 /day).