The programme provides training sessions for the inter-university composite team training hosted at various regional locations once per month and centralised sessions for all participants at the GB National Taekwondo Centre in Manchester every 3 months.
The programme will see the most talented student-athletes across the country regularly train together led by highly experienced performance coaches, with the aim to enhance and accelerate the athletic development of all participants. The programme focuses exclusively on the development of performance athletes and aspiring performance athletes (sparring disciplines), including but not limited to BUCS EUSA European Universities Games qualifiers.
Participants will attend 10 x 3 hour performance training sessions and may select at any one of the regional training locations. In addition, there will be a number of central sessions for all of the participating athletes to attend at the GB Taekwondo National Training Centre in Manchester.
Regional training locations are available specialising in WT rules sparring or ITF rules sparring disciplines with separate coaching staff. Central session at the national academy in Manchester are coached collectively and with a greater emphasis on WT rules cross-over, but will be highly beneficial to student-athletes competing in any taekwondo sparring discipline. A separate patterns training programme is planned and details will be released in due course.
Places within the programme are limited to athletes qualifying directly (by reaching the EUSA Games qualification medal position in either the WT rules sparring qualifiers or the equivalent ITF rules sparring divisions respectively) and a limited number of student-athlete nominations, 2 female and 2 male per institution.
Please note that this programme does not replace our existing standalone fight-camps and other training courses, catering to student-athletes of all levels and covering all disciplines of taekwondo, these open entry training courses will remain available during term time.
All student-athletes must have completed their individual registration forms no later than the registration deadline in order to attend the composite team training sessions. It is required to complete the individual registration form before attending any of the training sessions.
Student-athletes applying by nomination, rather than qualification, must first be nominated by their club captain / sports department using the nomination form below before they will receive access to the individual registration form.
- Phase 2 deadline team nomination forms: 5pm, 27th August 2019 (Tuesday)
- Phase 2 deadline individual registration forms: 11.59pm, 28th August 2019 (Wednesday)
Personal Student Athlete Development – The programme offers an invaluable opportunity for regular training with student-athletes of a similar levels of commitment and ability, greatly enhancing the range of training partners available on a day-to-day basis for performance athletes within university clubs.
High Performance Sparring Coaching – The programme offers a uniquely high level of instruction in both WT rules sparring and ITF rules sparring disciplines, provided by a dedicated team of professional coaches, including GB Taekwondo development pathway coaches and other guest instructors, GB national team coaches and national team athletes and GB performance programme athletes on occasion.
University Taekwondo Club Development – The programme will not only benefit the individual student-athletes but also their home institution’s clubs, by disseminating new training methods and mindsets between composite team sessions and their university clubs. Combining entry routes by both qualification and nomination every institution will have the opportunity to engage with the programme.
EUSA Composite Team Training – A significant proportion of composite team members will be BUCS EUSA European Universities Games qualifying athletes. The programme serves an important role in preparing the composite team members to represent their institutions at the Games, while supporting their onward post-Games development for the remainder of the academic year.
GB Taekwondo National Team Talent Identification Opportunity – Team GBs talent ID staff plan to attend a number of the training sessions, allowing the programme to fulfill a talent identification path in addition to the GB taekwondo talent scouts who already attend the Student National Taekwondo Championships Series in this role.
Regional and Central Training: Dates and Locations
Central Venue (all athletes): GB Taekwondo National Taekwondo Centre, Ten Acres Sports Complex, Ten Acres Lane, Manchester, M40 2SP
Nottingham Regional Venue: David Ross Sports Village, Beeston Ln, Nottingham NG7 2RD
Surrey Regional Venue: Surrey Sports Park, Richard Meyjes Rd, Guildford GU2 7AD
Times, locations and coaching staff may be subject to change. All central and regional sessions will typically be run from 1-4pm or 2pm-5pm on a Saturday or a Sunday. Any updates to the dates listed here will be shown on the main events calendar rather than this page. Please always check the main events calendar before travel.
Student-athletes must meet the following criteria to join the programme:
- Student-athletes must be a currently enrolled student, or be graduating within 12 months of the Student National Taekwondo Championships Series Finals at which they qualified to participate, and otherwise meet all BUCS eligibility criteria.
- Each nominated student-athlete’s university club must be a member of their students’ union/ sports department and the British Student Taekwondo Federation for insurance purposes. Note that club membership is enrolled at the time of entry to the Student National Taekwondo Championships Series Finals, therefore all clubs which participated in the Finals are already current members.
- All athletes must commit to their place with the expectation of attending a minimum of 50% of the composite team’s training sessions for the length of the programme and bring a full set of appropriate training equipment to each session.
- All athletes must agree to the Participant Agreement and Code of Conduct, as well as their institution’s own policies when attending external events where applicable, to take part in this British Student Taekwondo Federation programme. No third-party membership is required to take part as all participants are insured within the BSTF group policy.
- The British Student Taekwondo Federation reserves the right to withdraw individuals from the programme at any time.
There are three routes to join the programme:
- Qualification: Student athletes are automatically eligible to enroll if they achieve the equivalent of BUCS EUSA qualification at the Student National Taekwondo Championship Series Finals A-class sparring divisions; the criteria is dependent on medal position and division size as described on our EUSA information page. Direct qualifiers will automatically be sent a individual registration link.
- Nomination: Each BUCS member institution may nominate up to two student-athletes each year, 2 male and 2 female, to enroll in the programme.
- Invitation: A small number of athletes may be invited to join the programme directly, for example elite alumni-athletes who would like to continue supporting university taekwondo programmes and pass on their experience to current student-athletes.
For example, an institution with a member club that has 1 automatic qualifier may have a total of 5 student-athletes take part: the 1 qualifier and up to 4 nominees (2 male and 2 female).
There is no restriction on grade and that any capable student-athlete may be nominated, but that participants will typically be competing in the A-class divisions or a rapidly improving B-class competitor. All student-athletes participating must be able and aware that the level of the training will be typical of a development programme.
We recommend the nomination of student-athletes be made in full consultation between the club’s captain, your institution’s performance director or other staff lead, and the club’s head-coach. The nomination form below is only accessible to staff and club captain account holders.