Strength & Conditioning for Taekwondo courses are aimed at both university clubs coaches, assistant coaches, and aspiring student and alumni athletes with an interest in athletic development, coaching skills and the sport science behind taekwondo.
The course is delivered by Dr Carl Langan-Evans BA (Hons); MRes; PhD; FHEA; IIST; ASCC. Carl has been engaged as a coach, trainer and consultant physiologist to a number of high performance sports teams including those at the 2012 London Olympic Games. Carl was the Head of Sport Science Support Services/ Strength & Conditioning at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) from 2013-2020, worked with the English Institute of Sport (EIS) from 2013 to 2017 and holds professional accreditation in strength & conditioning via the United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA). Carl completed his doctorate in applied sport physiology and nutrition with a thesis titled ‘The Psychological and Physiological Effects of Making Weight in International Level Taekwondo Athletes’. Carl now works as a post-doctoral research fellow at LJMU, which is funded by the sport nutrition company Science in Sport (SiS) and is specifically focused on examining the formulation and modulation of ergogenic nutritional aids for combat sport performance. Alongside his university role, Carl consults with a number of professional and Olympic combat sports athletes inclusive of those in the UFC, Bellator, Cage Warriors mixed martial arts promotions, boxing and taekwondo.
The one day Introduction to Strength & Conditioning for Taekwondo course is divided between two classroom modules and one practical demonstrations of equipment and techniques within a strength and conditioning facility (practice section not included in online versions of the course). The following elements are introduced in the course:
SESSION 1 – Sport Science Support/ Nutrition & Weight Making for Taekwondo Module
- Introduction to Sport Science Disciplines (Physiology/ Biomechanics/ Psychology)
- Anti-doping, random testing
- Basic Sports Nutrition (Macro & Micro nutrients/ hydration/ supplements)
- Weight Making Practices (Dieting/ weight making and unsafe practices/ recovery)
- Periodization (Macro/ Meso/ Micro cycles, tapering, order of training, recovery)
SESSION 2 – Strength & Conditioning for Taekwondo Module
- Introduction to S&C areas (strength/ power/ speed/ conditioning)
- Testing Performance (strength/ power/ speed/ conditioning)
- Structure of Training (Volume/ intensity, sets, reps, tempo, rest)
- Warm-ups & Cool Downs (structure and flexibility potential)
- Conditioning modalities (An/ Aerobic – general & specific)
SESSION 3 – Practical S&C for Taekwondo Module (not included in the online versions of this course)
- Basic Warm-Up Techniques (prehabilitation)
- Basic Lifting Techniques (upper & lower)
- Basic Plyometric Techniques (upper & lower)
- Basic SAQ Techniques (general & specific)
Please see our events calendar for more information on the specific individual courses and links to learning resources and online registration forms.