The Student National Taekwondo Championships Series: Chang-Hon Individual Patterns competitors are divided into 3 grade divisions A, B and C classes, each with male and female sub-divisions. Competitors perform their pattern individually, following the judge’s instructions.
In all patterns divisions there may be up to three rounds of competition: preliminary round, semi-final round and final round. Two patterns are performed by each competitor in each round of competition and the top competitors, based on their average score, will be notified if they have progressed to the next round. Depending on the total number of competitors in the division the competition may begin either in the preliminary round, semi-final round or final round – this and other scheduling information will be announced in advance at the team captains’ briefing session.
A white dobok must be worn. Competitors may only use flexible tape to affix clothing rather than pins and must not wear nail varnish or jewellery, including any kind of piercings jewellery. The organisers and their officials may disallow any equipment at their discretion.
A-class patterns competition is intended to challenge senior student athletes, with significant numbers of team points being awarded for each round progressed.
A-class competitors must perform the pattern designated for that round, followed by second pattern of their choice from the list below. The chosen pattern must not be the same one as the designated pattern in that round. A chosen pattern may be repeated in a different round of the competition provided it is not that round’s designated pattern. If a student athlete does not know a required pattern then they may perform another pattern of their choice, but will receive a -1 point deduction from their score in each instance.
B-class and C-class competitors may perform any pattern from the approved list at all stages, and may repeat the same pattern more than once in any round and between rounds.
Competitors will be given an overall score out of 10.0 by each judge based on five criteria: accuracy of pattern; basic movements and balance; speed and power; strength and rhythm; expression of energy. Scoring begins as soon as competitors enter the competition area. The average score of the judges is recorded for each pattern and your score for that round is the sum of your two scores. Scores are reset after each round you progress through (i.e., your score is not aggregated across rounds). Two Bronze, one Silver and one Gold medal are awarded. In the event of a tie competitors will be asked perform their last pattern again until the tie is broken.
Student National Taekwondo Championships Series: Chang-Hon Patterns
|Division → Round ↓||C-class, 10th – 7th Kup||B-class, 6th – 3rd Kup||A-class, 2nd Kup +|
|Preliminary round, pattern 1 of 2||Any of Saju-Jirugi & Chon-Ji (1) to Won-Hyo (4)||Any of Won-Hyo (4) to Hwa-Rang (8)||Toi-Gye (7)|
|Preliminary round, pattern 2 of 2||Any of Saju-Jirugi & Chon-Ji (1) to Won-Hyo (4)||Any of Won-Hyo (4) to Hwa-Rang (8)||Choice*|
|Semi-final round, pattern 1 of 2||Any of Saju-Jirugi & Chon-Ji (1) to Won-Hyo (4)||Any of Won-Hyo (4) to Hwa-Rang (8)||Hwa-Rang (8)|
|Semi-final round, pattern 2 of 2||Any of Saju-Jirugi & Chon-Ji (1) to Won-Hyo (4)||Any of Won-Hyo (4) to Hwa-Rang (8)||Choice*|
|Final round, pattern 1 of 2||Any of Saju-Jirugi & Chon-Ji (1) to Won-Hyo (4)||Any of Won-Hyo (4) to Hwa-Rang (8)||Po Eun (11)|
|Final round, pattern 2 of 2||Any of Saju-Jirugi & Chon-Ji (1) to Won-Hyo (4)||Any of Won-Hyo (4) to Hwa-Rang (8)||Choice*|
*For choice of pattern any of the following may be performed, subject to the requirements stipulated above:
- Joong-Gun (6), Toi-Gye (7), Hwa-Rang (8), Choong-Moo (9), Kwang-Gae (10), Po-Eun (11), Gae-Baek (12), Eui-Am (13), Choong-Jang (14)
Chang-Hon Pairs Patterns and Chang-Hon Team Patterns events are identical to the Individual Patterns event described above except for the following specific rules:
- For the pairs event you must enter 2 athletes (any combination of male and female) per pair and both must be of the same grade class. Enter as Team_1’s_Player(1of2), and Team_1’s_Player(2of2) when submitting the pair.
- For the teams event you must enter 3 athletes (any combination of male and female) together per team and all 3 must be of the same grade class. Enter as Team_1’s_Player(1of3), Team_1’s_Player(2of3) and Team_1’s_Player(3of3) when submitting the team.
- Pairs and teams competitors must enter and exit the competition area together.
- Pairs and teams competitors are scored by the additional criteria of harmony (synchronisation) of movements, timing, and strength.
- Chang-Hon team patterns may be performed either in synchronisation, or performing staggered elements or ‘splits’ to increase the difficulty in the timing element; splits are not a required element.